Multnomah County Animal Services (MCAS) will only offer critical services, and limit shelter access until further notice, effective March 17, 2020.
Critical services will still be provided, including:
- Stray Animal Intake
- Lost Pet Reunification - Owners of stray animals at the shelter are encouraged to reclaim them during shelter open hours.
- Call Center Services - Client Services staff are available to assist you during posted phone hours by calling 503-988-7387.
- Animal-related emergency calls are answered every day, at all times.
- Emergency Owner Surrenders - Owned animals can only be accepted for emergency situations, as shelter capacity allows.
- Field Services - Animal Services Officers will prioritize emergency calls, including assisting law enforcement and first responders, rescuing injured or sick stray animals, cruelty or neglect investigations, animal bites, and responding to dangerous or aggressive dogs that threaten the safety of the community. Officers will be unavailable for non-emergency services, including barking and nuisance complaints, animal trespassing, licensing compliance, and similar services.
Guidelines for Visiting the Shelter
We ask visitors to the shelter to observe current guidelines from Multnomah County Health Department:
- Staying home if you are sick.
- Washing your hands frequently and properly.
- Covering your coughs and sneezes.
- Following ongoing guidelines from local health authorities, updated regularly at multco.us/covid19.
The following services will be suspended until further notice:
- Pet Adoptions - Our Troutdale shelter is closed for pet adoptions, including viewing or visiting animals in adoption areas, adoption applications, and adoption consultation services.
- Non-emergency Owner Surrenders - Owned animals can only be accepted for emergency situations, as shelter capacity allows.
- In-Shelter Volunteer Activities - All volunteer roles and shifts at the shelter are cancelled at this time. Foster volunteers are needed and encouraged to continue care. We thank our dedicated volunteers for their service, and anticipate their return in the future to support shelter animals.
- Public Spay/Neuter Services - Appointments for spay & neuter services through the Spay & Save Program are cancelled.
- Donations at the Shelter - To reduce public exposure, we ask that no one bring donations directly to the shelter. We thank our community for supporting shelter animals, and those who wish to donate can do so online as well as shipped donations from our Amazon Wishlist or via similar shipping services.