Got rodents? Consider adopting a working cat! The goal of our new pilot program is to place cats that are unadoptable through our regular adoption program into outdoor living arrangements where they can provide rodent control services in exchange for basic care.
This program will enable us to save more cats' lives and will allow community members access to a safe alternative for rodent control.
- Working cats will be vaccinated, microchipped and spayed or neutered.
- Caregivers must be committed to providing food, water and shelter from the elements.
- Caregivers must own property or have landowner's approval.
- Cats must be securely confined to their new location for 3 weeks prior to release. (You may borrow an acclimation cage.)
- We will not place working cats near bird habitats or ecologically sensitive areas.
Where can working cats be utilized?
- storage facilities
- your home
How to adopt a working cat:
- Complete a Working Cat Caregiver Application. An application can be downloaded and emailed, or applicants can come down to the shelter in person. A staff member will counsel caregivers on working cat acclimation and continued basic care.
- Call us at (503) 988-7387 or email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Availability of working cats is unpredictable. If there are no cats immediately available, approved applicants will be put on a waiting list.
- There is no adoption fee for qualifying working cats.