We are the primary agency responsible for performing animal abuse and neglect investigations in Multnomah County. We serve the cities of Portland, Gresham, Troutdale, Wood Village, Fairview, Maywood Park and all unincorporated areas of the county.
If you have an animal-related emergency, call us 24 hours per day, 7 days a week at (503) 988-7387.
If you have a pet-related issue that is not an emergency, call during regular call center hours. All complaints (except barking) may be called in to our office.
Our field services unit is responsible for:
- Animal rescue and protection - 24-hour emergency response and investigations: abandoned animals, animals in distress, cruelty and neglect investigations; injured or sick animal rescue; loose animals in traffic; protective custody of animals.
- Public health and safety: loose aggressive animals, animal bite investigation and quarantine, potentially dangerous dog investigation and classification, dead animal removal from public property.
- Neighborhood livability: barking dog disturbances, loose animal nuisance complaints, stray holding dog pick-up service, animal facility inspections.
Multnomah County Animal Services:
- receives over 9000 reports and complaints per year
- performs over 1300 abuse and neglect investigations each year
Multnomah County Ordinances require that pets have:
- proper shelter (protection from sun, rain, wind, extreme temperatures)
- adequate food
- access to clean, potable water
- regular waste removal
Not providing for a pet's basic needs is considered neglect and we rely on members of the community to report when animals are being mistreated. If you are uncertain whether a situation is a case of abuse/neglect, it is better to call us before it is too late and animal control officers will help make the determination.
Miscellaneous field services:
- If an animal is in imminent danger (loose on a freeway, in a hot car, being beaten or attacked, in distress) or there is a loose aggressive dog, call to report an emergency, 24 hours per day: (503) 988-7387
- If you want to report a dog bite, a suspected neglect/abuse situation, or another animal control related issue, please call (503) 988-7387 (during regular call center hours).
- For wildlife issues (other than coyotes), call Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) at: (503) 947-6000.
- To report a sick/injured bird or coyote issues, please call Portland Audubon Society Wildlife Care Center at (503) 292-0304.
- Submit dead bird reports to Multnomah County Vector Control or see ODFW's website regarding dead birds.
- For information about livestock regulations and beekeeping, please refer to Multnomah County Vector Control.
- To request records, submit a Multnomah County Animal Services public records request form (PDF, 999KB).