We realize that sometimes people are forced to give up their pets for one reason or another. While we primarily cater to lost and stray animals, in rare circumstances, we will accept owner-released pets for a fee (only when space allows).
We ask that owners first try all of the following methods of rehoming their pets. If none of the following methods work or your situation is dire, please call us at 503.988.7387 to discuss potential options.
Check with local shelters
The following shelters may accept owner-released cats and/or dogs (or rodents) on a space available basis. Please check with each shelter for specific information.
- Oregon Humane Society
- Cat Adoption Team
- Animal Aid
- Family Dogs New Life
- SW Washington Humane Society
- Washington County Animal Shelter
- Columbia Humane Society
- FATE Rodent Rescue
- Must Love Dogs NW
- Home At Last Humane Society
- House of Dreams
- Paws Animal Shelter
- Pet Adoptions Westside: (503) 650-0855
- Second Chance Companions
- Stray Cat Alliance
Rehome your pet yourself through friends and family
Let people know you’re trying to rehome your pet and ask them to spread the word to help you find a new home.
Contact the person or place where you originally got the pet
Many breeders and shelters will take back pets if you can’t care for them.
Try rehoming your pet through Craigslist
Avoid giving your pet away “free to a good home”, as unscrupulous people may turn around and sell your pet. You may ask for a small rehoming fee for your pet. However, you should be aware that people who ask for rehoming fees are often accused of selling their pet, which is not allowed on Craigslist. The best option may be to require the adopter to donate a reasonable sum to an animal related charity.
1. Create a Profile - get your pets posted on Adopt-a-Pet.com to be seen by millions of pet adopters.
2. Review Applications- the dedicated team at Rehome will give you all the help you need to select the best potential adopters.
3. Meet Adopters - The Rehome team will guide you through the process of setting safe and pressure-free meetings with applicants.
4. Finalize Adoption - Rehome will provide you with an adoption contract to protect the transfer of your pet ownership.
The Pacific Northwest has many breed-specific rescue organizations. You can try searching on Google for relevant options for your pet.
Need pet-friendly housing?
- MyApartmentMap (pet-friendly search)
- Craigslist (select "cat" or "dog" and then click search button)
- Zillow apartment search (select "pets allowed" under "more")