Licensing Information

Black cat wearing a licenseMultnomah County Animal Services requires* licenses to benefit neighborhoods, pet owners and animals. These benefits include:

  • Lost pets are quickly reunited with their owners. Pet owners are easily found by entering the license number online. Multnomah County returns approximately 2000 lost pets to their owners each year.
  • Safer neighborhoods for families and pets. License fees help support field services and investigations to address cruelty, neglect, loose pets, aggressive dog and bite reports.
  • A safe haven for homeless animals. The MCAS Shelter provides approximately 6,000 animals with food, healthcare, shelter, training, foster and adoption services each year.

* Section 13.101 of the County Code states "Dogs and cats shall be licensed within 30 days of obtaining the age of six months or within 30 days of obtaining residency in the county or acquisition by the owner or keeper, whichever occurs later."

Pet Licensing Grace Period Offered During COVID-19 State of Emergency

Rabies Vaccine Required

To license your pet, they must have a current rabies vaccine.  You can have your pet vaccinated at the time of adoption, at your local veterinarian, or on Saturdays at Multnomah County Animal Services by Good Neighbor Vet. Once you obtain your rabies vaccine certificate, please have it available in a PDF, JPG, or PNG file to upload to the online licensing form, or bring a paper copy of the certificate with you to the shelter.

How to Get a License


By mail

If you are applying for a new license, complete the Pet License Application. If you are renewing a license, write your pet's license number on your check. Send a check or money order made payable to "MCAS":
Multnomah County Animal Services
1700 W Historic Columbia River Hwy
Troutdale, OR, 97060

At participating veterinary clinics

Many veterinary clinics throughout the county are MCAS license vendors. Locate a clinic near you on the license vendor map.

Licensing is not currently available at our Troutdale shelter, due to COVID-19 precautions.

Service Animal License

If you are applying for a license waiver for a service animal, complete the Service Animal Licensing Fee Waiver Request Form. Mail or fax the completed form per the instructions on the bottom of the form. Please note that in order to qualify for the request, your dog must perform specific work or tasks for you according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, 42, USC 12101 et seq. If you are denied your request, you will be required to pay the regular license fees.

Pet License Fees

  1 year 2 year 3 year


Fertile cats $30 $60 $90
Spayed/neutered cats $15 $25 $35


Fertile dogs $42 $77 $107
Spayed/neutered dogs $27 $47 $62

Senior Citizens License Fees (65 & older)

(Limit of 2 pets per household for reduced fees)


Fertile cats $15 $30 $45
Spayed/neutered cats $7.50 $12.50 $17.50


Fertile dogs $21 $38.50 $53.50
Spayed/neutered dogs $13.50 $23.50 $31

Other Fees

Replacement tags $5
Late fee $10

Pet License Refund Policy

Pet licenses are non-refundable, except in the event of the death of the pet. Requests for refunds will only be considered if MCAS is notified of the pet's death within 30 days of license purchase. Refunds requested after this time frame will not be eligible for a refund. Pet licenses are non-transferrable under any circumstances.