This page provides information about a variety of low cost services in the Portland Metro area. Some services are available to the general public, while some may require pre-qualification and/or proof of government assistance. Please contact individual programs directly for details and current information.
Low Cost Spay & Neuter
- Spay & Save: $10 spay/neuter for cats only. Offered through Animal Shelter Alliance of Portland (ASAP) to residents of Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas and Clark who receive government assistance (Medicaid, WIC, SSI, etc). Reduced fee spay ($25) and neuter ($20) are also available to low-income residents who do not receive government assistance. Call (503) 802-6755 to sign up.
- Burlingame Vet Clinic: This vet clinic in SW Portland offers low-cost spay and neutering for cats and dogs. Coupons, prices and more information are available on their site.
- Oregon Spay/Neuter Fund: A non-profit organization dedicated to ending the suffering of animal overpopulation. Visit their web site to obtain coupons that can be used at a number of local veterinary offices.
- Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon (FCCO): Dedicated to the humane treatment of feral cats and to the prevention of future generations through spay/neuter programs and education, FCC offers spay/neuter services for feral cats as part of their trap-neuter-return (TNR) program.
- Hayden Meadows Pet Clinic: This vet clinic in North Portland offers cat neutering for $35 and spaying for $50. Dog neuters start at $60 and spaying start at $70. Stated prices are only honored with coupon. Optional surgical protocols are available for an additional fee.
Low Cost Vaccinations & Vet Care
- PAW Team: For homeless or very low income people. Prequalification appointment is required. Call for an appointment. Located at 1131 SE Oak St. Portland. (503) 206-6033
- Luv My Pet: Low-cost vaccination clinics at PetCo locations. (503) 557-1740
- Good Neighbor Vet: Low-cost vaccinations are various locations, dates and times. 1 (888) 234-1350
- Companion Pet Clinics (Portland): Affordably-priced vet care. Located at 3345 NE 82nd Ave. (503) 546-1044
- Companion Pet Clinic (Gresham): Located at 2454 SE Burnside Rd. (503) 489-1703
- JOIN: Must be homeless to qualify for services. Located at 1435 NE 81st Ave, Suite 100, Portland. (503) 232-2031
- Pixie Project: Offers some low cost medical/surgical services and spay/neuter. Inquire by email to email@example.com.
Financial Assistance for Pet Care
- Care Credit: 1 (800) 677-0718
- Dove Lewis Emergency Animal Hospital: For emergency situations only. Ask about their Velvet Assistance Fund. (503) 228-7281
Training & Behavior Advice
- Oregon Humane Society: Behavior help line. Call with behavior concerns or questions. Free Puppy Romp socialization classes for puppies under 5 months and free Problem Pooch classes provide expert advice on training and behavior issues. (503) 416-2983
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA): Online resource for behavior issues, training, health tips, poison control and many other animal related topics.
Pet Food Assistance
If you are struggling and need help to feed your pets, resources are available. Portland area groups operate pet food banks and support services to feed the pets of those in need.
Low Cost End of Life Services
- Oregon Humane Society: Euthanasia and cremation fees vary from $40 to $200 depending on your pet’s weight. (503) 285-7722
- Dove Lewis: Euthanasia services for very sick and declining elderly pets only (monetary contribution appreciated, but not required). Free communal cremation service available (ashes can not be returned). (503) 228-7281
- Family Animal Services: Communal cremation services are $20 for a pet up to 35 pounds (animals over 35 pounds are 50 cents per pound). (Ashes not returned.) Tell them you were referred by MCAS to qualify for this offer. (503) 665-8300
For additional options, contact your vet or see our “Deceased Animals & End of Life Services” web page.